Vlaamse Tinnitus en Hyperacusisvereniging
ing aboard the Ja

Nieuw onderwerp plaatsen   Reageren    Vlati // VLATI
Vorige onderwerp :: Volgende onderwerp  
Auteur Bericht
panxing18

BerichtGeplaatst: 08-09-2018 09:01:33    Onderwerp: ing aboard the Ja Reageren met citaat
Thomas Vanek learned early in his career how tough it is to win in the playoffs.

When Vanek and the Buffalo Sabres beat the Philadelphia Flyers in six games in 2006 to advance Daryl Johnston Jersey , the rookie winger looked across the locker room at 37-year-old Teppo Numminen, who was on the verge of tears. Numminen had never made it out of the first round in his previous 16 NHL seasons and was overjoyed.

”It hit me right there and then, `Man this is hard,”’ Vanek said.

Vanek is now on the other side. In the playoffs for the seventh time, he is the Columbus Blue Jackets‘ oldest player at 34. Just like Rick Nash in Boston, postseason struggles and inconsistencies have followed Vanek his entire career. Based on his play down the stretch and in Game 1 against Washington, he looks poised for some playoff redemption.

”A very consistent scorer throughout his year and has a lot to prove and wants to win the Stanley Cup,” Columbus general manager Jarmo Kekalainen said Friday. ”That’s why he’s excited to be here. He wants to prove people wrong, if they think that he can’t do it in the playoffs. He wants to show that he can, and he had a good start.”

Vanek had a goal and an assist to help the Blue Jackets take a 1-0 series lead on the Capitals, and young teammate Artemi Panarin scored the game-winner to finish with three points – two more than he had in Chicago’s first-round sweep at the hands of the Predators a year ago. Kekalainen pointed out Panarin was a point-a-game player for the Blackhawks in the playoffs two years ago, so hold up on the reputation rehab there.

The same goes for Capitals center Evgeny Kuznetsov Rob Havenstein Jersey , who has been up and down in the playoffs. The 25-year-old from the same town in Russia as Panarin already has more goals in one game this year than he did in the 2016 playoffs, when Washington lost in the second round.

Vanek and Nash know they’re running out of time to win the Cup and make a difference on that journey.

Nash, who drew two penalties and played over 17 minutes in his return from injury in the Bruins’ Game 1 blowout of the Maple Leafs, has seen his goal production drop by half from the regular season to the playoffs over the course of his career. The 33-year-old trade-deadline pickup should get plenty of chances to show he can still be a playoff performer.

”He’s an important player for us,” Bruins coach Bruce Cassidy said. ”That deal was made for a reason. He’s an elite player … makes us more of a threat (as) a team. He’s just a proven player in this league that can finish, that can win pucks and get to the net.”

Getting to the net has never been a problem for Vanek, whose power-play goal in Game 1 came from crashing the crease. But he hasn’t always found it easy to score in the playoffs and has struggled with a minus-16 rating in six previous appearances with the Sabres, Canadiens and Wild.

Vanek didn’t know how he would fit in with Columbus, though the reviews from coach John Tortorella are positive – and honest. Vanek’s propensity for defensive miscues and mistakes with the puck, and his sometimes frustrating inconsistencies, have given Tortorella and others grey hairs.

”I think he really is thriving and is excited about the role he has, that he was and we were in a playoff hunt and now he’s in the playoffs Ricardo Louis Jersey ,” Tortorella said. ”I can see why he gives coaches nightmares in some of the things he does. I get that. But I think sometimes you need to ignore some of that and allow him to play and not get in his way. I think he’s been terrific.”

Several times leading up to the start of the playoffs and even after his goal, Vanek was asked about making an important contribution in the playoffs. Each time he changed the subject to the need for someone, anyone, on the team to have success.

”You can tell how excited everyone is,” Vanek said. ”It doesn’t matter if you score or not.”

Scoring or not, making a long run a reality would be Vanek’s real redemption.

Jay Ajayi is rested, refreshed and ready.

The Philadelphia Eagles can jump aboard the Jay Train when they host Atlanta in an NFC divisional playoff Saturday and try to ride Ajayi to the conference title game.

Ajayi will see his first action in 19 days when he lines up against the Falcons (11-6). He sat out the final game before enjoying his third bye week of the season – one with Miami and two with Philadelphia (13-3).

”I feel really good, like, I feel really good,” said Ajayi, who has been bothered by knee issues. ”No. 1 seed team with an opportunity to go get a Super Bowl. I’m grateful, I’m blessed Jadeveon Clowney Jersey , I’m excited for this opportunity because it’s all in front of us and if we really take advantage of what we want to do and execute how we can, we can get it done.”

Two weeks before he joined the Eagles, Ajayi ran for 130 yards in Miami’s 20-17 win over Atlanta on Oct. 15. He hasn’t carried the ball as much in Philadelphia, but he might have to be a workhorse this week.

”Same guys. My mentality hasn’t changed,” Ajayi said. ”My mindset is always downhill, attacking, try to punish guys. One-on-one, it’s all about not being tackled.”

Ajayi was the main man in Miami, averaging 20 carries per game. He had 465 yards rushing, an average of 3.4 yards and no touchdowns. Last year, Ajayi went to the Pro Bowl after running for 1,272 yards Dalton Schultz Jersey , including three 200-yard games.

After coming to Philly, he adjusted to being part of a rotation. Ajayi shared the backfield with LeGarrette Blount and Corey Cement and didn’t get more than 15 carries in any game following the trade.

Ajayi finished with 408 yards rushing, one touchdown and an average of 5.8 yards per carry in seven games for the Eagles. Blount led the team with 766 yards rushing and Clement had 321.

The offense sputtered in the last two games with Nick Foles at quarterback. Relying on Ajayi’s running can help take pressure off Foles.

”I’m excited. I’m already a round further than I’ve been in my career,” said Ajayi, who had 33 yards rushing in a wild-card loss to Pittsburgh last year. ”For the guys who’ve been to the playoffs and lost, those memories of getting bounced should definitely fuel you. You should have that chip, want to get there and want to bring it home and that starts this Saturday.”

The Eagles are the first No. 1 seed to be an underdog in their first playoff game. The sixth-seeded Falcons are 3-point favorites.

”It’s not insulting. That’s the story line right now,” Ajayi said . ”Without 11 (Carson Wentz), we’re nothing basically. That’s what we’ve been hearing. We’re excited to come out Saturday and showcase what we can do.”

It’s starts with getting aboard the Jay Train. Ajayi loves the nickname that he earned at Boise State. He even wears a gold train pendant on his chain.

”The Jay Train is always out,” he said.

AP NFL website: Jacksonville Jaguars Customized Jerseys ,
Terug naar boven
Profiel bekijken Stuur privébericht
Nieuw onderwerp plaatsen   Reageren    Vlati // VLATI Tijden zijn in GMT + 1 uur
Pagina 1 van 1

Ga naar: